Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I learned it by watching you!

So, in the downtime I have at work, which is a fair amount, I surf news websites and catch up on current events. I know I really don’t blog about such things, but something struck me as ironic.

So, the US goes into Iraq, ousts Saddam and installs a democratic government. A president is elected. A constitution is drafted, wait… the Sunni Arabs, who used to be in power don’t like it because they don’t feel they have much of a say in what goes into the constitution. Well, they are the minority. Of COURSE they don’t have much of a say.

But I was thinking about it, and reading about events that were going on in America just previously. Turns out the minority (Democrats) were rather upset that they didn’t have much of a say when it came to John Bolton (UN ambassador) or John Roberts (Supreme Court nominee). There were threats of filibusters, and the response of Republicans to pass measures to block filibusters when it came to judicial nominees.

I can’t help but think that these two things are related. Did the US, when installing a new government, also install the notion that the minority must always be heard, respected, and held up?

Sure doesn’t sound like coincidence to me.

-D out.

No comments: