Sunday, May 29, 2005

Hold 'em. Fold 'em. Walk away. Run.

Alright. I started playing poker because it gave me something to do on Sunday nights. Just a half-dozen guys that I know, some chips, a soda or two, and if I was lucky, I'd recoup my entry fee ($5).

Well, that was like that a month or two ago. One night we were short some people, so I rang my buddy Joe. (Joe's not his real name, just in case anyone at my poker game reads my blog.) Joe came along, fit in, and did well. The week after that, one of the guys, Phil (also not Phil's name) invited one of his roommates because we were playing at Phil's place. We had a nice, comfortable eight people and it was all good. Phil's roomie seemed like a nice guy, and the game went smoothly, even if I didn't get my five bucks back.

Fast forward to today. I call around, and we're having poker, even though it's Memorial Day. I figured a small turnout. Nope. Now it's eleven people, most of whom I don't know, including an apparent card shark who likes to belittle the people he beats. Joe's bringing a friend, even though we had a full table with him, so now it's two tables, one inside and one on the patio...

Now, I can understand if people have fun together, then more people having fun is generally a good thing. But, if I'm deriving my fun from the fact that it's a small gathering of my friends, and now it's a bunch of people I don't know, then I might as well play in the Monday night tourneys at Old Chicago.

At least it's free.

-D out.

1 comment:

-D said...

That reminds me. I keep meaning to call or e-mail or something. What time Tuesday?